Friday, February 17, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I am a frugal person mainly because I like to have savings in the bank. I do not like living from paycheck to paycheck.  I am a firm believer in putting money away for a rainy day. So I always try to spend less than I make. Also another trait about me is that I like to be self-reliant. I want to be able to do the most for my family as I can. I do not like to rely on buying everything my family needs. I like to be able to make some things myself instead of buying it at the store. So when I came across a recipe a while back on the internet on how to make your own homemade laundry detergent I had to try it.
I found the homemade laundry detergent at http://briercreekfamilyfarm.com/blog.shtml
When I make this laundry detergent recipe I make it in 2 and ½ gallon batches. The recipe on the above site makes it in 5 gallon batches. So I just use half of the original recipe. I use the following ingredients:
½ cup of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
½ cup of 20 Mule Team Borax Laundry Booster
1 small bar of soap

2 ½ gallons of water
The original recipe list using liquid scent as an optional ingredient. I did not use it.
The Three Ingredientes Needed To Make Homemade Laundry Detergent
In my large size stock pot I poured 2 gallons of hot tap water. In my medium size stock pot I poured ½ gallon of water and heated the water on the stove. As the water heated on the stove I used my cheese grater to grate my small bar of soap. I put 1/3 of the grated soap in the heating water. After it melted and blended in I put the next 1/3 of the grated soap. And then after that melted in I put the last 1/3 of the grated soap in the stock pot. In my large size stock pot I added the ½ cup of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda and the ½ cup of 20 Mule Team Borax Laundry Booster. I stirred it in using a large plastic spoon. I then poured the melted soap and water into my large stock pot.
The Melting Bar of Soap
Here is a video of the Brier Creek Family Farm making this same homemade laundry detergent.
Afterwards, I cover the large stock pot loosely with aluminum foil and let it sit out overnight. In the morning it will have thicken up quite a bit. The consistency of the laundry detergent is like a gel type consistency. I then stored the detergent into three large empty containers.
The Finished Product
I have an extra large capacity washing machine so I use 1 cup of this laundry detergent per load of clothes. I always buy laundry detergent on sale and it is almost always the store brand which normally cost me 12 cents on each load of laundry detergent I use. With this homemade laundry detergent I spend only 1 cent a load.
The detergent does not have a smell at all. It is unscented. My clothes smell naturally clean and look clean. No one in my family knows that I am using it and no one has complained about it so I can safely assume that it cleans as well or better than my normal laundry detergent.
I plan on continuing to use this homemade laundry detergent. The best thing I like about it is that I will not have to buy laundry detergent if I do not want. I have learned a new self-reliant skill!
http://briercreekfamilyfarm.wikispaces.com/Making+Homemade+Laundry+Detergent

2 comments:

  1. Would this work in a front load washer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not have any experience using a front load washer so I am unfamiliar with the manufacturer's recommendations. But on the other hand, if you can use regular store bought liquid laundry detergent I would assume you could use it.

    ReplyDelete